Sunday, November 7, 2010

Time & Tom Waits Help Me Kill November

.



In many ways the month of November has become my own personal firing squad. But with Tom Waits and time on my side, I will prevail yet again. Come the 30th, with my prey in sight, I will turn the tables and the calendar pages - and just like the year before - I will put November in the crosshairs, and out of my misery once more.


PLEASE NOTE: if you cannot deal with Waits' voice, the video is very evocative and will gently hold your hand throughout the song. And i
f the visuals are not enough to get you past Waits' raspy growl, the lyrics stand up quite well on their own. They are included in the video. I have also transcribed them below for your convenience and reading pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekb6ALfBiT8


November

(T. Waits)


No shadow
s
No stars
No moon
No cars
November


It only believes

In a pile of dead leaves
And a moon

That's the color of bone


No prayers for November

To linger longer

Stick your spoon in the wall

We'll slaughter them all


November has tied me

To an old dead tree

Get word to April

To rescue me


November's cold chain

Made of wet boots and rain

And shiny black ravens

On chimney smoke lanes


November

Seems odd

You're my firing squad

November


With my hair slicked back

With carrion shellac

With the blood from a pheasant

And the bone from a hare


Tied to the branches

Of a roebuck stag

Left to wave in the timber

Like a buck shot flag


Go away you rainsnout
Go away
, blow your brains out
November




.

4 comments:

conkie fizz said...

wow. you nailed it with this one.

kevin (smith) said...

thanks lil' con

Anonymous said...

Pretty intense....

myronetta said...

Nice button you got there. And a very very good post.