Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Crosley Field

.



When I was about 5 or 6-years-old my Dad took me to Crosley Field for my first Reds game. We sat in the top row way down the left field line, but of course I brought my glove in case of an errant foul ball. 

While introducing the starting lineups, the PA announcer would say each players complete name, pause for a bit, and then repeat the last name. Naturally my Dad couldn't resist this opportunity: 

PA announcer: Starting in right field, Frank Robinson . . . 
Dad: Who?!
PA announcer: Robinson!
Dad: Oh - OK.

I thought this was about the funniest damn thing that I had ever heard.

When we got home I told the rest of the family that my favorite player, Vada Pinson, had looked at me and smiled on his way out to center field. I remember everyone kind of nodding and smiling a little uncomfortably just like in the final scene of The Wizard Of Oz when Dorothy tells everyone about her adventure.



http://youtu.be/w-e_UJOGF4E

.

No comments: