Thursday, September 2, 2010

Doors, Windows, and the Lord

.

A former library colleague and friend, and current facebook friend of mine, posted this on her facebook wall today:

"When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window . . . "

That sounded nice and comforting, but something troubled me about this adage. Things just didn't add up.

I thought about it for awhile and then finally realized what was bothering me, and so I posted this comment on her facebook wall:

That sounds like a really nice thing for the Lord to be doing - opening a window after closing a door - but what if the window He opens is on the 2nd or 3rd floor? How is that going to help if I need a door?

And if He closes a door, but then opens an 18th floor window, is He trying to tell me something?

Oh yeah - and what if it's a window that faces west? Is He going to close it if it starts raining, or does He expect me to cover for Him and remember to close the window?

The reason I am asking is because I left a west window open once during a storm and the water damage to the wood floor from the rain was really bad.

Of course if the window that the Lord opens for me doesn't get closed, and my floors are damaged from rain, I could always file an insurance claim. But you know what they're going to say. They're going to say:

"I'm sorry, Mr. Smith, but this is not covered by your homeowner's insurance. It was an act of God. After all, He *did* open the window."

I suppose that I could argue that technically it was the Lord who opened the window, not God. But if I have learned anything in this life it's this: Never discuss theological issues - especially ones dealing with the Holy Trinity - with your insurance agent. It only leads to frustration and hard feelings.


I haven't heard back from my facebook friend, but she hasn't "de-friended" me either, so I guess that's a good sign. Actually I am not surprised. She always was a good sport.

.

2 comments:

marley said...

well my oh my, aren't you the clever one, with all of your funny little pedestrian jokes and what-not.

i am quite certain that this blog entry is going to be a favorite of oh so many of your dedicated readers.

by the way, what are you up to now? five subscribers? boy, at this rate you could have at least a dozen subscribers by the time you're dead.

ass.

myronetta said...

It's "hast."

I'm just sayin'.