Friday, October 2, 2009

Thursday, October 2, 2008




.
One year ago today my sister Peggy walked into the Gander Mountain store at 8001 Old Troy Pike in Huber Heights, Ohio and bought a Smith & Wesson .38 calibre handgun - a "high-end Saturday night special" I was told - that obviously works quite effectively (i.e. is "special") on Sundays as well. I can only assume that its performance on week nights is also "special."

Oddly enough, later that same day, Peggy e-mailed me from work and asked if I could check with my friend Susan (a nurse) to see if she could recommend a urologist for Peggy.

Apparently, when my sister got home that night, she hid the gun and gun holster in a handbag in the back of a bedroom closet. It was probably already loaded with a single bullet as no box of ammunition was ever found. It appears that the gun remained in the closet for the next six weeks.



"Peggy? . . . "


"What the *hell* are you doing?"

"Fess up, sis"

"Was the urologist question just a ruse, or a decoy, to preempt me from asking how you were doing, or what you had done, that day? . . . Or maybe to keep the subject on physical ailments instead of mental health issues?

"You got six weeks left to talk"


"A
*gun* Peggy? . . . What the hell?!"

"What's goin' on?"



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . (Peggy and Lil' Con (my sister Connie))


.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Words fail me at times like these and of course one can only speculate what words could have answered your questions. I had recently started sharing emails with Peggy and we had plans to meet for lunch, the ubiquitous "sometime soon". I remember thinking if soon had been sooner maybe somehow I could have stumbled onto a train of thought and derailed it. I know that's not likely as we were not very close but I still thought it. I can only begin to imagine what you and your family have gone through. My heartfelt and deepest sympathy and love.