Monday, April 19, 2010

I Demand My Right To Continue To Have The Right To Have A Washer And Dryer!

.

Since I have become the proud owner of an original 1995 Mattel Supersoaker (see blog entry below), I have decided that I might attend a local gun rights rally and get to know some of my fellow gun owners.
Actually, I was planning to attend one of the rallies before my purchase.

My original motive for attending was simple curiosity.
I am intrigued with the concept of having a rally to demand something that you already have:


"We come here today as proud gun owners!
[CHEERS] . . . and when we go home today, um - well . . . we like, demand and stuff, to still be proud gun owners!" [a few claps, a slightly more reserved cheer, and then what appears to be a barely suppressed giggle from a tall bearded white guy way in the back].

Hey, maybe I will organize a "washing machine rally" to demand the right for law-abiding citizens to have, I mean - to continue having, washing machines. Or better yet - there's strength in numbers - maybe I could join forces with the dryer community and we could hold a rally for "washing machine *and* dryer" rights.


Hey! And what about "car" rights?!


[EDITOR'S NOTE:
Whoa! Hold your horses there big guy! One political cause at a time]

But anyway, back to the gun rights rally.


I went online to find a date and location for a local rally. While visiting some of the "gun rights" websites, it became obvious to me that the primary reason for the rallies is a concern that the current administration wants to diminish, or completely abolish, gun rights. It seems to be more of a collective fear within the gun owner community, rather than anything based on current legislation or recent comments from the president.

This information helped me better understand the purpose of the rallies. Unfortunately, it also made me re-think attending one of the rallies.


A large group of paranoid people who own guns?

I think that maybe it would be best if I sit that one out.


After talking it over with loved ones, I have decided that it might be best if I focus my political energies on the washer and dryer rights community for starters. Kind of get my feet wet, if you will.

And then - who knows - with all of the stuff that I currently own, I could devote the rest of my life to hosting rallies to make sure that I, um . . . still own the stuff by the end of the rally!

Cool. After all of these years I am finally becoming "politically active," just like the people I see on TV.

Oh democracy . . . let thy lamp of vigilance shine bright!

.

No comments: