Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Top Ten Heartbreaking Songs

.



Hey there,

A friend of mine, who for the sake of this blog entry we will refer to as "Mark," was sent a list of the "top 50 most heartbreaking songs" from a mutual fren who we'll call "Gwen." Mark sent that list to me with his own top ten list. Awhile later I sat down to work on my mine and eventually stopped at thirty-eight songs.

Now I've been known to frequently confuse "sad" and "beautiful." A therapist once told me that may actually be part of my "problem." I gave that some thought and took immediate action.

I started seeing a different therapist the following week.

[boom boom CHSSS]


But that's another blog entry.

As fate would have it, one of my favorite songwriters, the painfully underrated Paul Westerberg (formerly of the equally painfully underrated band The Replacements), latched onto my "sad/beautiful" dilemma with a sad *and* beautiful song called - you guessed it! - "Sadly, Beautiful":

"baby needs a brand new pair of eyes
cause the ones you got now only see goodbyes
had no chance at all to let you know
you left me sadly, beautiful
you left me sadly, beautiful"
(p. westerberg)

So what the hell . . . if it's alright by Paul, it's alright by me (therapy be damned!)

The following songs have been known to literally make me grab for my heart the second they begin to play (heh, heh - I originally typed "garb for my heart" - I guess I was being protective), and/or stop everything that I am doing and pull over to the side of the road - both figuratively in a "life sense" and literally in a "driving sense." This first list (yes, that is a threat) contains a lot of oldies that I grew up with. The next installment will bring things a little more up-to-date. The songs are in random order and can be listened to as such (although the last two songs kill when listened to one right after the other).

So without further adieu, I present to you my first list of "Top Ten Heartbreaking Songs."

Oh wait - just one more dieu.

I have attached YouTube videos for your listening, and occasional, viewing pleasure:


1. Jimmy Cliff "Many Rivers To Cross"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkMzuXlKQv8


2. The Beatles "Julia"



3. Elvis Presley "Can't Help Falling In Love"



4. The Rolling Stones "Wild Horses"



5. Brook Benton "Rainy Night In Georgia"



6. Young At Heart (w/Fred Knittle) "Fix You"



7. James Carr "The Dark End Of The Street"



8. Bob Marley "Redemption Song"



9. Jimmy Ruffin "What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted?"



10. Gerry & The Pacemakers "Don't Let The Sun Catch You Crying"



10. Lenny Welch "Since I Fell For You"



10. Andy Williams "Moon River"



10. Mel Carter "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me"



10. Paul Simon "American Tune"



10. Richard Thompson "Beeswing"



10. Johnny Cash "Hurt"




10. The Clash (w/Mikey Dread) "Shepherd's Delight"







That's it for tonight's show! The first installment in the "Top Ten Heartbreaking Songs" series.

This has been Wolfman Kev spinnin' all the hits for all you cool cats and cool kittens!

See you soon with another list!







This blog entry is dedicated to my sister.

Goddamn it Peggy ya big dummy. You woulda loved listening to these songs. You are so grounded for what you did. No WING-AM "Top 40" countdown for you in the basement tonight! Go to your room! And don't you come back down young lady until you're ready to behave and play fair!
.

No comments: