Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sad News, Happy Poem

.
From this morning's newspaper:

"Franklin Twp. elderly couple likely died from fall outside home"

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20100131/NEWS01/301270099/Franklin-Twp.-elderly-couple-likely-died-from-fall-outside-home


If the above story makes you sad, I wrote a poem 16 years ago based on an identical incident that occurred in Dayton, Ohio - except that story had a much happier ending.

I would like to dedicate my poem, "Falling In Love," to Melvin and Dorothy Rudd of Franklin Township in Warren County, Ohio who passed away yesterday. May they rest in peace.



FALLING IN LOVE

"An elderly couple fell in their yard and remained helpless for about 38 hours. Ray Davis, 94, broke his arm when he fell Monday night as he went to feed his dog. His wife, Lois, 92, who uses a walker, tried to help him and also fell."
(Dayton Daily News, July 9, 1994)


Ray. Ray. I wondered where you were. You alright? Yeah I'm OK. The ground's gettin' kinda cold though. You alright Lois? Yeah, I think so. Can you reach my walker Ray? I don't know honey. My arm's awful sore. Where's Ruthie? Maybe she can nudge it over. Ruthie! Ruthie! C'mere girl! Atta girl! Good girl! No, no Ruthie! Not up here! Down Ruthie! Get the walker girl! C'mon Ruthie! Bring the walker to Mommy & Daddy. Forget it Ray. She thinks you want to play. Anyway you're wakin' the neighbors. Lois honey, I think maybe that's what we wanna do. But Ray it's gettin' late - let 'em sleep - they'll see us in the morning. But honey we gotta do something. Well why don't you get to teasin' Ruthie and see if she'll yap? Lois I can't move enough to tease her. Well then I guess we better get comfortable. Honey I think if you move your head a little the grass will be softer. Ray? What's that on your face? It's an ant Lois. Get it off me. I can't reach up there, Ray - my arm's stuck. Well then blow it off! Take a deep breath and - No! No! Dammit Lois, you're spittin' on me! I'm sorry Ray - I don't have my teeth in. There. It's gone. Honey? It's gettin' colder. Can you press your leg against my hip? Or why don't you scootch your leg up against my knees. Be careful now, the arm's sore. There. Now scrunch your belly up closer. Dammit Lois, I know it's hard for you to move, but we gotta keep warm. Now just kinda grunt and scoot. There. How's that? OK? Ray? What's that noise? That shufflin' sound? I don't know. I can't see nothin'. It's coming up the walk. Oh Ray, it's just Ruthie. She musta finished her food. Call for her Ray. Ruthie! Here girl! C'mere Ruthie! Sit girl. Atta girl Ruthie! Yeah she's a good Ruthie. Lois? Lois? No, no Ruthie. Mommy's sleeping. Good girl. Yes, yes, Ruthie. Daddy'll play in the morning. Ssssh . . . quiet girl. It's just the moon Ruthie. And the stars Ruthie. Yeah girl - it's a pretty night. Good night Ruthie. Daddy sleep now too.


(from the chapbook whenallasudden!, 1994)






[Thanks to my pal Susan for the "heads-up" on today's news item]

.

No comments: