Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Where'd You Go?

.

The gentleman pictured above was a homeless acquaintance of mine back in the early 80s. He spoke very broken English, but more than made up for any communication barrier with the universal language of a kind face and a gentle spirit.

I asked him if I could take his photo by first pointing to my camera and then towards him. He responded by simultaneously shaking his head and motioning that his pockets were empty. He thought that I was going to take his picture and then try to sell him a copy. Once we got that little bit of confusion sorted out, he nodded and just stared right at the camera.


The photo was taken in 1982 at the 3rd street bus stop - next to the Old Courthouse - across the street from the Arcade.



"where'd you go? where'd you go?

. i closed my eyes and you was gone"
. (a. smith "hide and seek")


.