Sunday, September 28, 2008

POEM: choking in piqua


choking in piqua


in the 1st grade i hated cornbread.
it would stick in my throat.

i would always be out of milk
and unable to wash it down
so it just stayed lodged there.

as did sister mary so and so 
towering over-
head 
commanding "we must finish our lunches
think of the starving children in new guinea"

but i could only think of this one kid
me
choking in piqua.

the cafeteria would slowly begin to empty:
first my oldest sister, nodding encouragement
then a neighbor girl, pointing and laughing
then a younger sister, smiling 

leaving me

with a black and white nun
and a black and white world.

making it all very clear:
i would have a hard time swallowing this
but swallow i would.

(from the chapbook TRYING TO UNRAVEL SOMETHING, ANYTHING, 1998; color photo, 2002 by Suzanne Gourlie; black & white photo (detail), 2008 by me)







No comments: