Monday, September 29, 2008

THREE POEMS: that one moment, trying to get comfortable & Divorce



that one moment
.
wind blowing shadows
across the window shade

wolf creek flowing
in its own bed

that one moment
all was clear

inside you i felt
the circle of generations

the pitch & tumble of time
.

.
.
trying to get comfortable

when i was married
we lived in the second to the last house
on a dead end street. one summer night
we were sitting on the porch when
two cars traveling at about 3 MPH
managed to have a head-on collision
right in front of us.

the 1st guy had turned around at the dead end
and the 2nd guy was about to do the same.

the first one says to the police:
"i didn't see him coming"
the second one says:
"me neither"

my wife and i howled with laughter,
even our 3-year-old son was giggling.
they went in to get more kool-aid and
i reclined the chaise a few more notches
.
trying to get comfortable
.
it was a pretty night
fireflies flickering

and the dull slow motion crunch of the collision
echoing like a song in my head.
.
.
.
.
Divorce
.
Shutting the fridge you say
"How can it be that we spent
six years together and I didn't know
that you ate pimento spread?"

I mutter "I don't know" and wonder
at exactly what moment things break:

"The heater in the car kept me warm
all the way home last night.
This morning I turn it on
and nothing."

You mention your roof. "By the way
the parent-teacher meeting is Monday"

We agree that we have a bright boy.
We remind ourselves of our luck,
eyes locking for a moment, then you ask
"How many shingles can I can buy for 90 bucks?"
As I ponder the cost of a heater for an 81 H
onda.


("that one moment" and "trying to get comfortable" from the chapbook TRYING TO UNRAVEL SOMETHING, ANYTHING, 1998 - "Divorce" from the chapbook LAUGHING IN ITS FACE, 1994)







No comments: