Sunday, November 22, 2009

Dig It or . . . How Low Can You Go? or . . . Whoa Pal, That's Pretty Deep

.


Dear hardcore kevin's myth blog reader,

I have two questions for you:


Question #1
- I own ye olde Smith mansion in deepest East Dayton. Included with the legal papers for the house is a diagram of the property, showing the width and length of the estate. Unfortunately, none of the papers indicate how far down I own the property.

Is it forty feet?

One hundred feet?

To the earth's core? . . . at which point the owner of the property exactly opposite of mind (globally speaking) begins ownership?


Which brings us to my second question:


Question #2
- When I was a young boy I was always told that if you dig a hole deep enough you will end up in China. Does anyone know of a website, or maybe a simple calculation, that would tell me exactly what would be on the opposite side of the Smith estate if I were to dig deep enough? I am hoping that there is a way to calculate this using the exact latitude and longitude of the house as that would also save me quite a bit of yard work. If possible, I would like to try to contact the person who lives directly opposite of me (once again, globally speaking).

I suppose if going directly through the earth's core and out the opposite side would not provide an inhabited land mass, I could forego the longitude, bypass the earth's core, and simply determine the exact latitude of the location directly opposite of the house (this is easier to visualize if you think of the world as a globe rather than a map). I assume that to actually do this (rather than relying on the calculation or formula that I hope to find) would mean digging a tunnel at an angle rather than straight down to the earth's core - considerably less physical labor, but probably more math.


I would like to add that these are serious questions. I feel compelled to mention that because a woman at the Dayton Area Board Of Realtors refused to help me when I called and asked her the first question.


Feel free to leave your responses, suggestions, etc. in the "Comments" section below. As always, you may do so anonymously.

By the way, retirement is still pretty cool. I try to remain active in the community.


Please listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqrwXcOFotw


"dig it, dig it, dig it

.dig it, dig it, dig it"
.(t. beatles)


.

1 comment:

Brian said...

As near as I can tell, very near the South-Western tip of Australia if you dug straight through.