Friday, November 27, 2009

Sadly Beautiful Song Series, Song #12

.

I recently became the proud owner of the newly released 15 CD remastered Beatles box set. It contains each of The Beatles original 13 studio releases, plus the 2 CD "Past Masters" that consists of all non-album singles and EP tracks.

There are 217 songs in total!

There is also a small booklet for each CD, and a DVD that includes 13 "mini-documentaries" about the making of each studio album.


This mammoth box set has been an absolute treat. Just what I needed to bide my time until the new ANDREW AND THE PRETTY PUNCHERS album is officially released.

I hadn't heard the following Lennon/McCartney gem in a few years, but the instant George Harrison played that gorgeous "phased" guitar intro, the song had me clutching at my heart. And check out Harrison's harmonic "ping" at 1:26 of the song. It's nothing short of sublime. I'm not sure there has ever been a lead guitarist with better musical instincts for what an individual song needs. Or one who had a better understanding of the concept of "less is more" (check out his *four* note solo on "I'll Follow The Sun" . . . take *that* all you guitar wankers!)


So without further adieu, I give you #12 in the Sadly Beautiful Song Series . . . one of my all-time favorite goose bump inducers from the Liverpool lads:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O-wmVqFD4w



Yes It Is
(Lennon/McCartney)

If you wear red tonight
Remember what I said tonight

For red is the color that my baby wore

and what's more it's true

Yes it is


Scarlet were the clothes she wore

Everybody knows I'm sure

I would remember all the things
we planned,
understand it's true
Yes it is, it's true

Yes it is

I could be happy with you by my side

If I could forger her, but's it's my pride

Yes it is, oh, yes it is, yeah


Please don't wear red tonight

This is what I said tonight

For red is the color that will make me blue

in spite of you it's true

Yes it is, it's true

Yes it is


I could be happy with you by my side
If I could forger her, but it's my pride
Yes it is, oh, yes it is, yeah


Please don't wear red tonight

This is what I said tonight

For red is the color that will make me blue

in spite of you it's true
Yes it is, it's true

Yes it is, it's true


.

No comments: