Saturday, November 21, 2009

My Sister Was Gangsta Before Gangsta Was Cool . . . My Sister Was Gangsta When They Spelled It With An "R"

.

The above picture has always been one of my favorites from the incredible bottomless box 'o Smith family photos (click on to enlarge). It was probably taken in about 1952, two years before I was born. The photo features my Grandma Knapke holding court with her early 1950's grand-brood.

I have to be honest with you though. I don't know what the hell is going on in the bottom right corner. I am certain it is innocent fun, but as a young boy, when I looked at the image it always kind of weirded me out.




When I look at the group photo today I see something that I have never noticed before. The majority of the cousins are smiling. Four notable exceptions are my future siblings.





Hmmm . . . what does it all mean?

Probably not a damn thing, but I've been in weekly therapy for the past six months so I notice that kind of stuff now. :-)

But the absolutely coolest thing that I now notice in the photo is my late sister Peggy in the bottom left corner.




Hey! My future homies/sibs may not be smilin' - but they sure as hell be representin'!





I have no idea what this obvious "gang sign" means ("St. Boniface grade school 4 life?"), and the black & white photo doesn't help. For that matter, even if the picture was in color I'm not sure it would reveal much, because I am not aware of any gangs whose color is/was plaid.

Moral of the story/photo: You didn't mess with the Smith posse at Grandma's house, because they be comin' from Piqua - with frowns all around - and they probably be packin' heat.

Word up.

Peace out.

.

No comments: