Saturday, December 26, 2009

The 2009 Smith-Marley Christmas Card Award

.
It is with considerable pride that we here at "kevin's myth" announce the 2009 winner of the much-coveted Smith-Marley Christmas Card Award.

First we would like to state that this was the only year in the history of the award that the vote was unanimous (2-0)!

Also, e
ach of the judges wanted it to be known that, in their opinion, both the illustrations *and* the design of the card were outstanding, with each element complementing the other very effectively.

So without further delay . . .


The winner of the 2009 Smith-Marley Christmas Card Award is:


My niece Emily for her original homemade Christmas card featuring that fun-loving character "Vivianne Jinks" and friends!




Please click here *immediately*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAKFlpdcfc


A little background information on Miss Vivianne Jinks:

Although Miss Jinks' delightfully friendly countenance has appeared in many different formats (including wedding announcements!), Vivianne still longs for her true dream home: between the covers of a published book (children's book publishers & editors please take note!)

Below are some additional pictures of Emily's prize-winning Christmas card (click on any photo to enlarge the image):


. . . .. . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . .(front of card, detail)



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . .. . .(inside top half of card)



. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(back of card)



CONGRATULATIONS EMILY!

Long live Vivianne Jinks!


:-)

.

3 comments:

tealeaf8@aol.com said...

Yes, the detail was stupendous this year on her card...thanks for her recognition....some talents skips generations....glad she got some and Andy too...it is amazing to witness what you cannot do but see in your children!

Emily C. said...

Dear Smith-Marley Panel,

I am truly honored to receive this award. I'd never dreamed of inclusion in the final set of Smith-Marley Awards, much less winning first place. Of course I've envisioned it and practiced my acceptance comment repeatedly but never expected it to come to fruition.

I thank the judges, Unkie Kev and Marley. I thought that Marley would hate me since I'm allergic, but the panel's unanimous decision speaks volumes.

I must shout out some thank-yous, I promise that I'll keep it short.

My mom and dad encouraged my drawing from little on up and gave me pencils, markers and everything a kid would need to begin drawing.
My littlest (yet now tallest) bro, Mike, inspired my first children's book, entitled "Four Pigs, One Dog and a Bear in the Big City".

My lack of husbands, children, and dates provided me with a plethora of available time, without which I'm sure that I'd have never developed Vivianne into the three-volume character that she is today.

Again, thank you to the Smith-Marley panel for this great honor. I hope that I will be considered in future years as well.

Yours Truly,
Emily Charek

kevin (smith) said...

dear 2009 smith-marley award winner,

our only regret at this time is that we are unable to offer an award for award acceptance speeches. rest assured that if we were in a position to do so, you - once again - would be a wiener!

sincerely,
unkie kev & the marley-man- er, i mean . . .
the esteemed smith-marley panel of judges